Thursday, January 6, 2022

365 Days: #6 The Maltese Falcon (1931)

I am continuing the pattern of following up on an actor/actress from the previous day's movie. After seeing Harold Lloyd's leading lady, Bebe Daniels, in yesterday's film short, I decided to revisit her performance in this early version of The Maltese Falcon

#6 The Maltese Falcon (1931)


Sam Spade is a detective with his hands full of women, but that doesn't stop him from taking on another lovely dame who comes to him appealing for help with a false story of a missing sister, especially when she's willing to throw big money at him. It turns out to be a bird that's missing, and he soon finds out there's more to the story when he gets drawn into a deal with a wacky group of characters. 


"You know darling, for that amount of money, I'd let you tell me a lie every day."



Many people may prefer the 1941 retelling with Humphrey Bogart, but I do enjoy this pre-code version with Ricardo Cortez and Bebe Daniels, which is quite a bit racier than the one that followed. Dwight Frye appears here as Wilmer, after playing Renfield in Dracula earlier that same year. 

Mrs. Archer

Laying it on thick.

Seduction

Before the interruption.

The dame packs a heater.

It appears to be a photo of Louise Brooks on the wall.

Bebe in the bathtub.

Found

"Well, make him lay off me or I'll fog him
 and nothing will stop me!"

Delivered

Police report.

Admission of murder.




No comments: