Monday, January 3, 2022

365 Days: #3 Trouble in Paradise (1932)

After watching Edward Everett Horton yesterday, I was inspired to revisit the movie that gave me a greater affection for him. This is another gateway movie I saw early in my days of movie collecting that had me seeking out more Ernst Lubitsch movies, as well as films with Herbert Marshall, Miriam Hopkins and Kay Francis.

#3 Trouble in Paradise


A thief posing as a Baron meets and falls in love with a pickpocket posing as a Countess. They engage in a scheme to steal from Mme. Colet, the owner of a perfume company. Trouble arises when Gaston Monescu and Mme. Colet fall in love with one another.


"Darling, remember you are Gaston Monescu. You are a crook. I want you as a crook. I love you as a crook. I worship you as a crook. Steal, swindle, rob! Oh, but don't become one of those useless, good-for-nothing gigolos!"



This has all of the innuendo, romance, and crime that goes unpunished that makes it a fine pre-code film. The jokes are subtle, the costumes are exquisite, and the music is divine. It's a movie I can watch repeatedly. 

"You know, I'm not the marrying type.
I like to take my fun and leave it."

No comments: