Saturday, January 23, 2021

New Year, New Movie: The Ambulance (1990)

It's a Larry Cohen night! I was contemplating It's Alive, but decided to watch The Ambulance. One thing you can expect with Cohen is a rollicking, good time, and he certainly didn't let me down with this picture. 


"This is the story of what can happen to you for talking to a strange woman on the street."



The Gist

Josh is trying to hit on a girl he's seen on the street, when she suddenly collapses and is whisked away by a vintage ambulance. When it becomes clear that she's disappeared, he goes on a mission to find her, and ends up taking an ambulance ride himself. 


Memorable Moments

Stalking a woman on the street.

"I'm sorry but I just like to touch human skin
through a surgical glove, that's all."

Getting advice from his boss, Stan Lee.

The hero.

Chewing lots of gum.

Making an investigation.

Clubbing

"Oh, I think I just killed myself."

"Call Robbie."

Back again.

Another ambulance ride.

"I could have cured thousands of people if it hadn't been for 
you with your comic book brain! You had to wreck it all!"


One more ambulance ride.



My Thoughts

What a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting much from this movie, and felt a certain amount of trepidation upon first seeing Eric Roberts in a mullet, but it was a super fun, action packed thrill ride! The actors handled the material superbly, and while Red Buttons was great, James Earl Jones really took the cake! His final scene was worth the price of admission. If you are looking for a good time, then you can't go wrong with this movie. 

No comments: