Sunday, January 3, 2021

New Year, New Movie: Secret Beyond the Door (1947)

I am enjoying my New Year's resolution to discover a new movie every day. I realize now how my past attempts at resolutions were all wrong. Each new year, you should always resolve to do something nice for yourself every day. 

I was considering two different movies by Fritz Lang starring Joan Bennett to watch tonight, Man Hunt and Secret Beyond the Door. I finally settled on Man Hunt, but the disc wouldn't play for me, so the choice was made for me.


"Mark, my sweet lamb, you're tetched in the head."



The Gist

Celia takes a trip to Mexico, where she meets and marries a man she barely knows. Upon arriving at her new home, she discovers he was previously married and has a son, as well as an interesting hobby of reconstructing rooms of women who were murdered. Celia soon discovers that her moody husband has some deep seated issues with women, and the key to solving them is locked behind the door to one of his reconstructed murder scenes.  


Memorable Moments

A beautiful bride.

The real miracle is pulling off a wedding on such short notice.

Celia's new home.

Feeling unsettled.

A tour of reconstructed murder rooms.

Putting the pieces together.

Attempted escape.

Putting himself on trial.

Uncontrollable urge to kill.

Crisis averted.

Crisis renewed.


My Thoughts

I think Celia may truly be the one who is "tetched in the head" in this movie. She discovers that her husband has mommy issues that make him want to kill her, but she is determined to stick around to practice psychoanalysis without a license. Fortunately for her, she was able to get to the root of the problem before he could strangle her. If it weren't for the dreamy camerawork and moody music, I might write this film off as completely absurd, but instead it gets a pass as being surreal. 

No comments: