Monday, January 4, 2021

New Year, New Movie: The Seventh Victim (1943)

I'm turning to the Criterion Channel for tonight's movie. I am learning to check the films that are leaving the Channel at the end of the month much earlier in the month so I can prioritize my viewing. Since quite a few of the movies on my watchlist will be gone in February, I thought I'd better start working on some of them. Tonight's film choice is a noiror from Val Lewton studios that features satan worshippers. 


"Your sister had a feeling about life. That it wasn't worth living unless one could end it."



The Gist

When Mary realizes her sister, Jacqueline, has gone missing after ceasing to pay her boarding school tuition, she goes off in search of her and finds out there was a lot she didn't know about her sister, including that she's married, she a murderess, and she's joined a satanic club. In the end, Jacqueline decides that life was worth living. 


Memorable Moments


Sorry, little princess. Pay up or earn your keep.

Gregory Ward before he was Ward Cleaver 
and Kim Hunter before Stella and Zira.

Satanic symbol or fascinating cosmetic logo?

Inspiration for Psycho?

Intervention.

Nonviolent satanists?

Inspiration for Bettie Page?

"Who knows what is wrong or right?
If I prefer to believe in satanic majesty and power,
who can deny me? What proof can you bring that
good is superior to evil?"

Is it love?


My Thoughts

That was certainly a thrill ride that packed a lot of action into 1 hour and 10 minutes! Everyone in this film is pretty sketchy and it's hard to know who to trust, though that could be the influence of Rosemary's Baby on me. I loved the discovery of the noose in the room, the dead man walking, the corpse on the subway, the creepy shower scene, and the shadowy assassin's chase. I couldn't help wondering just how old Mary is supposed to be, however. She seems pretty grown up for a kid attending boarding school. I loved the song she sang to her kindergarteners: "Here comes a candle to light you to bed. Here comes a chopper to chop off your head." I started thinking perhaps Mary is the one we should be concerned about, but then I looked this up and found out it's another one of those kooky nursery rhymes. I almost wish I hadn't known that. I'm not sure the declarations of love toward the end were entirely necessary, though it was probably to underscore the pitch perfect final scene to follow. I look forward to watching it again to pick up some of the subtleties I may have missed on this first viewing. This movie is currently playing on the Criterion Channel and is also available to stream on amazon

No comments: