Saturday, October 15, 2016

Season of Horror: Carnival of Souls (1962)


I like to hear the Creature Features opening theme before delving into something truly scary on a Saturday night. It brings back fond memories. It's a stormy night with rain and gusty winds and after seeing Carnival of Souls tonight, I will not want to look out the window for fear I might see the ghoul from tonight's movie. This is the first time I'm seeing this film on Blu-Ray. This version is not the extended director's cut, but the deleted scenes are available in the supplements.

"Have you no respect? Do you feel no reverence? I feel sorry for you and your lack of soul."

Everything about this movie is eerie, the discordant organ music, the appearances of the ghoul, the desolate carnival, sleazy Mr. Linden, the wooden acting, and the ghoul's dance and chase. Whenever I hear a mockingbird, I think of the scenes in the park when sound returns. The imagery is beautiful and it's a movie I can watch over and over. It's lack of perfection serves it well. I am expressing what I like about this film in screenshots. These images are not from the Blu-Ray, which is much sharper and really does this film justice.































No comments: