Sunday, February 7, 2021

New Year, New Movie: The Tall Target (1951)

I am right on the expected timeline when most resolutions fail, but I haven't given up my quest to watch a new movie every day yet, no matter how unrealistic! After indulging myself in a daily movie for most of January, I have certainly been missing the diversion in February. With better planning, I hope to be back on my game this week. 

There are some juicy offerings on The Criterion Channel this month, and my watch list has exploded. Tonight, I'm watching a film that was completely unknown to me, which was loosely based on the plot to assassinate Lincoln before his inauguration. It was Dick Powell that grabbed my attention when browsing the offerings, but the intriguing story was what inspired me to get back on track with my movie viewing tonight.


"Freedom isn't a thing you should be able to give me, Miss Ginny. Freedom is something I should have been born with."



The Gist

New York City police detective, John Kennedy, learns of a plot to assassinate president-elect Abraham Lincoln in Baltimore, where he is scheduled to give a speech. When his superiors refuse to take his warnings seriously, he goes it alone and boards a train to Baltimore to try and thwart the plot.  


Memorable Moments



Strangers on a train.

Barbara Billingsley gets her start mothering a precocious boy.

It's hard to know whether or not you can trust Adolphe Menjou.

Didn't see this coming.

It's curtains for Kennedy.

Ruby Dee shows off her acting chops.

Kennedy gets a break.

But he's got foul luck at every turn.

Spoiler alert: Lincoln doesn't get shot in Baltimore.


My Thoughts

This movie was action packed and had a lot of unexpected twists. It was fascinating to watch, especially in a political climate that mirrors what we see on screen. I'm surprised this film is not more well known, but it is certainly worth discovering. It is interesting that the police detective played by Dick Powell is named John Kennedy, who is operating against all odds. Ruby Dee was amazing, and her quiet performance was powerful. There's a lot going on under the surface of this film noir, and it's a film I'll want to watch again.

No comments: