Thursday, January 21, 2021

New Year, New Movie: Twist (1992)

Here's an unlikely movie. I was going to skip movie night tonight after working late, but decided to cruise the Criterion Channel for something I didn't feel I'd have to commit to, and came upon Twist and got hooked. While the Twist is the main focus, it covers other dance styles leading up to it, as well as the ones that came after, and the music that inspired the dances. The interviews were interesting, but one of the best parts of the movie was seeing The World's Greatest Twisters perform during end credits. They truly deserve the title. It was a fun movie to watch, and it did inspire me to get a little exercise. 



"The reaction to the Twist has been about as violent as the dance itself. Dancer, choreographer Geoffrey Holder says it is not a dance and it has become dirty. It's synthetic sex turned into a sick spectator sport."


"Nothing's nasty when I do it. I make everything nice.
I have that talent. I do." -Chubby Checker


No comments: