Monday, January 11, 2021

New Year, New Movie: Angel Heart (1987)

And now for something completely different. I heard about this movie during a discussion of film noir on Ask Eddie and was intrigued enough to step outside my usual viewing fare to check it out. It was a worthy recommendation.


"However cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, your reflection always looks you straight in the eye."



The Gist

Harry Angel has been hired by Louis Cyphre to track down the elusive Johnny Favorite, who owes him something. During the course of his investigation, people wind up dead, and he uncovers an unexpected mystery.


Memorable Moments

"The egg is the symbol of the soul. Did you know that?"

Another dismembered part.

"I know who I am!"

"Mephistopheles is such a mouthful in Manhattan, Johnny." 


My Thoughts

This is a movie I can't say too much about because what makes the movie so enjoyable is discovering how the mystery unfolds. I did have a bit of a clue before viewing, but was still surprised by how it all went down in the end. It has great atmosphere, it's beautifully filmed, and the horror is quite disturbing. It's a film that lends itself to repeat viewing. 

No comments: