Monday, September 19, 2016

What's On-Screen

In the interest of having something posted this month, since a busy August got by me without a word, I'd like to chat about a few of the things I'm currently indulging in and hope to be writing about once I figure out how to manage blogging about Dark Shadows with a full-time job that requires a multitude of extra unpaid hours, while catching up to the many new movies I've acquired, as well as the Prime movies I've added to my Watchlist.


August was a time to celebrate joie de vivre as I like to revisit some of my favorite French films during my birthday month. My annual ritual began with watching Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Pardise) each year on my birthday, but since I discovered Drôle de drame this year, I have added it to the festivities, and it may be my new favorite film. Now that I've acquired all the Carné-Prévert films I can, I've added Criterion Collections from Jean Gremillon and Julien Duvivier. After being introduced to Max Ophüls from watching Caught, I picked up Le Plaisir and The Earrings of Madame de... I expect to see more of his films in future. I most certainly will be sharing my love for classic French film and anticipate creating new converts. Vive la France!


Now that we're sliding into late September and fall is imminent, I'm already getting a craving for classic horror. I recently added the Hammer Horror 8 film collection to my library and have been digging into that with Brides of Dracula and Curse of the Werewolf. That Hammer Horror bright red pasty thick blood looks awesome on Blu-Ray!  

This is not Blu-Ray.

I enjoyed watching the 1945 version of The Picture of Dorian Gray this weekend, which had some fantastic Technicolor sequences and a fabulous cast. Once the days start getting shorter I am looking forward to revisiting Nosferatu and Carnival of Souls on Blu-Ray. I've also got quite a few Lon Chaney films to catch up on.


I am entertaining the idea of scheduling a favorite horror flick-a-day from Fall Equinox to Winter Solstice. We'll see what happens come Thursday. Somewhere in between all these grandiose schemes, I will find some time to finally write about Moontide, though when exactly it will happen I cannot say. Here's a teaser photo below showing Thomas Mitchell snapping Claude Rains in the behind with a towel while Jean Gabin looks on. I bet you never imagined that scene.


 Until next time. If you can't find me here, look for me in the Shadows...

No comments: